Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hello Summer

It's no secret that I absolutely loathe the coming months that are winter. It's like a blanket of dread wraps itself around all things happy, a dementor if you will. However, to avoid being negative and unpleasant to be around I've made a habit of looking forward to the spring and summer months. Just the thought has the potential to brighten my day, even if it is dark at 4:30. The truth is, a very vivid picture was laid out tonight while I watched a movie and as cheesy as it may sound it was wonderful. The scene was simple, two people, hopelessly bound to fall in love, naturally, and they sit on the edge of a dock on a summer night enjoying nothing more than each other and the sounds of summer. Flirting and romance ensue, clothes come off (not all of them, PG) and the next thing you know they are jumping in the lake. Call me cheesy, don't care, in a month as miserable as January, this scene brought more than just a few minutes in a movie, but packed in the beauty of memory and a little longing. I don't know about you, but spring and summer bring about so much life and color it is impossible that it go unnoticed. More than just flowers and trees spring to life, it's as if, like blooms, I begin to come alive in a new way every year. It was this feeling of life that the scene provoked, hence inspiring this post. So, if you're like me and the next few months just bring you down take some advice, go to the memory bank and recall the beauty and life that are not too far off. Take a breathe, imagine that favorite summer spot with the people (or person) you enjoy most, and slip away for a moment. That bit of longing gets me through my least favorite months every year, hope it can for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment